- I finished a self-help book titled The Power of Self-Discipline: No Excuses by Brian Tracy. I will say it is very “self-helpy” without any tangible basis for his assumptions. I prefer a book like Grit by Angela Duckworth that is based on research and less on personal experience. With that being said, there were a lot of good little sound-bytes of inspiration in the book so overall it was worth the read.
- Have you heard of, or read, the book Legacy by James Kerr? It is about the All Blacks rugby team from New Zealand and discusses how they have built a culture within their organization that has lead them to tremendous success. I’m only a couple of chapters in, but you don’t need to know anything about rugby to appreciate the teachings from this book. I’m already excited to share this with my upper management team at work.
- Enough about books, let’s talk about recent movies / shows. We have been so lame and haven’t started any new shows recently, but we did watch Ex Machina which I had never seen before. Unfortunately, Joe Rogan’s podcast did spoil the ending for me but the basis of the movie, AI and the Turing test, was fascinating, particularly with the recent debut of ChatGPT.
- I have been on a major Breaking Points with Krystal and Saager podcast kick. It’s roughly 1.5-2hr episodes daily with news updates. What I like about it is that it’s a deep dive on topics being brought up in quick sound-bytes by the major news channels. As you continue to listen you really get a full-picture understanding of what is going on, potential impacts, and different perspectives based on the particular nuances lended to these highly complex topics and discussions. If you haven’t listened before, I highly suggest giving it a shot.
- I majorly need to do a big spring cleaning of my house but I have zero motivation to do it. I just want to spend time with my family on the weekends these days and have little desire to clean, although I normally crave the time to get the house in order. Do you ever go through funks like that?
- As much as I love bringing new decor items into my house, I also desperately want to simplify everything we have going on. I think when we move the treadmill to the garage, I can make some furniture decisions that will alleviate some of the visual chaos around the house. I plan to put in cabinetry around our TV for kids toys, books, etc so the room can feel cozier and less stimulating. That will take some time, but I’m looking forward to it.
- We have been surviving with one car for the past month or so and my husband’s new truck finally came in this week. Of course he wants to do a couple of modifications, but I am so excited to have a second car again. We got the new Toyota Tundra and it is everything I imagined and more. My car has to go in the shop next week for 5 days or so, so we’ll be back to one car for a little bit, lol.
- I have been battling a nasty cold for what feels like weeks now. It has been coming and going in severity and the past 4 days have been brutal. Congestion, post nasal drip (yuck), and a nasty cough at bedtime have made my nights so freaking long. I went to the doctor and she said it looks like allergies, which I have never had before, so if this is what people deal with on a regular basis with allergies, I now have a newfound respect for what you put up with. It is horrible! Also, like…so annoying that you can randomly develop seasonal allergies as an adult when you’ve already been living somewhere for YEARS. What the heck!
- I don’t know if it’s the sickness or the time change but I have been STRUGGLING to get up in the AM. We had been waking up at 4:45am to get a good morning routine in before the kids wake up, but since daylight savings, we’ve been sleeping in until 5:30-6:00am and therefore have barely gotten our morning routines in. But miraculously I woke up naturally at 4:30am and felt wide awake, so yeah, that’s fun haha.
- I’m desperately trying to figure out how to style my plants around the house while also taking into consideration the amount of light they need. There are so many factors! The type/size pot they need to be in, how much they are expected to grow, sunlight, watering needs, the whole gambit. The journey is long but the rewards are endless. love my plants so freaking much haha.
Thanks loves, tune in next week for my next random list of things on my mind! Always feel free to email me with your thoughts!